Friday, December 19, 2008

Great Grandma Jessie

On Sunday my Great Grandma finally passed away. I say finally because she has been holding on to life by a thread for a long time now. She died at the ripe Ole age of 96. Can you imaging living 96 years?
She was born on October 11, 1912. She was raised right here in the Knoxville area. Grandma had an interesting life, which included an extremely active single life. We had found out recently that my Grandpa, her first son was not my great grandfather's child. My grandmother became pregnant by a sailor and raised my grandpa by herself for 3 years until she met my great grandfather, who adopted him. My biological great grandfather's name is Frank Knot. So if anyone has any Knots in their family, we might be related. So when my grandmother revealed my this to me, my first question was, What were doing with sailors? I shouldn't have asked. Turns out my Great Grandmother danced with a group called Daughters of America. They were a group of girls who would "entertain" sailors while they were in town. I mean entertain as dance half naked nothing else. Hello!!!! Shocker!!!
Even though she had a rough young adult life, I am so happy she overcame it. She married a well, had 3 more sons, too many grandchildren and lots of great-grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren.
She outlived all of her cousins, her husband, her brother and sister, and 3 of her sons. She has so many of her close family members waiting for her on the other side that I know she happy to finally be with them. I miss you and love you, Grandma.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I am so sorry for your loss and I am happy for your great grandma that she could go and be with those she also loves. That story about her and the sailors is funny! haha

Laura said...

Sorry for your loss Katina. That is great that you learned that and can pass it on so your kids/grandkids can know more about her. Have a merry Christmas!